- Banners are to be used for branding and to promote educational, cultural and informational programs in support of UF’s mission.
- Banner content should have university-wide appeal.
- Banners may not be used for commercial advertising; advertising or promoting any political candidate, parties or issues; or identifying, advertising or promoting any religion.
- Department banners shall be placed on designated poles in contiguous areas in a clustered manner near the building/venue of the event. University-wide banners may utilize all areas.
- UF Communications is responsible for reviewing banner requests, addressing the following:
- Appropriateness of content/message
- Adherence to identity standards including images and the presentation of the university name and trademarks
- Timing of request taking into consideration other banner requests for the same locations and time period
- Physical Plant Division manages the installation and removal of banners on behalf of requesting organizations.
All requests for banner displays must be made by submitting a banner request form to UF Communications as early as possible, but at least eight weeks prior to the desired date of installation. Allow at least two weeks for review/approval, three weeks for fabrication by an approved vendor and three weeks for installation. The submission must include:
- Name of sponsoring group with a contact person identified
- A written description of the purpose of the banner
- Requested installation and removal dates
- Color image of the banner design in electronic format with measurements of the proposed banner
- Total number of banners desired with their locations. Please contact University Relations at 846-3903 for a list of locations.
UF Communications will respond to the requestor with information about whether the project is approved, approved with modifications, or rejected with reasons listed. Once banner placement has been approved by UF Communications, the requesting unit will submit a work order request to Physical Plant Division at email@example.com. PPD is the only unit on campus that can install and remove banners. PPD will make every effort to install banners on the date requested, however this is not guaranteed. There is an hourly charge for installation. Some poles do not currently have brackets. If the requesting unit wants to use these poles, they will be responsible for purchasing brackets (approximately $60/set) and having them installed by PPD. Once installed, they become the property of UF.
- Banners can be reserved for a 90-day period with an extension of up to 45 additional days if no competing requests have been received.
- The finished size of banners is 24 inches x 72 inches including a four inches sewn pole pocket at both the top and bottom of the banner height.
- The design area should be 21 inches x 64 inches after the pole pockets are hemmed.
- Banners must be double-sided.
- Banners must be made of high-quality vinyl, flame retardant canvas or other flame-retardant awning material. Banner material must be opaque, non-shrinking, and water, tear and fade resistant.
- Banners must have double-sewn seams at all edges and at both sides of the pole pockets. Metal tie-down grommets shall be installed at the intersecting locations of double-sewn seams, but should not obstruct path for banner arm.
Guidelines for graphic content:
- Content should be generic in nature and graphically, symbolically and verbally representing the university-sponsored event or activity. Font should be as large as possible so the information can be gleaned on quick glance.
- Use minimal text – no more than five to seven words.
- Incorporate images or graphics using geometric or abstract shapes.
- Content may include the name or logo of the sponsoring university unit or college; non-university sponsors shall not be presented on banners.
- Recognition of the University of Florida should appear within the graphics of the banner; university policies in regard to the use of the university name, logo and other trademarks must be observed.
- Logos should be downloaded from the university’s brand center. All policies in regard to trademark use must be observed.
- Developing the design of the banner following the university’s branding guidelines.
- Submitting the request with back-up materials for review and approval to UF Communications.
- Making necessary changes to the proposal if requested.
- Purchasing the necessary quantity of banners plus additional units for replacement if originals are lost or stolen.
- Initiating a work order to hang banners at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a copy of the approval email from UF Communications.
- Paying for installation and removal of banners through Physical Plant Division.
- Delivering finished banners and mounting hardware (if needed) to PPD Work Management Center located in Building 701, Radio Road for installation.
- Picking up banners from Work Management Center after they are removed. Units are encouraged to recycle or repurpose the banners.
For more information:
Email UF Communications at email@example.com if you have any questions or need additional information.
There are two sets of outdoor electronic marquees on campus. Two marquees face east and west and are located on University Avenue near Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The other two marquees face north and south on SW 34th Street across from the University Hilton.
Basic submission information
- Complete the submission form at least two weeks before your event. Marquees are scheduled to change once a week, so submissions received after Monday evening most likely will not appear on the marquees until the following week.
- If a submission request is sent at least two weeks in advance, you can assume that the information will be posted approximately one week prior to the event date unless you are informed of an issue with the submission.
- Once the information is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email that the event is scheduled to appear on the marquees. If you do not receive an email by the week prior to the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 352-846-3903.
- Postings typically appear approximately one week prior to the event and will be displayed until the event occurs. Postings for UAA sports events may post for two or more weeks prior to the event date. More UAA events typically are listed on marquees because UAA pays for continued maintenance of the marquees.
- Each message will appear in its entirety on one screen. Both sets of marquees – those on University Avenue and SW 34th Street – generally will display the same messages.
- Unless a sponsor name is part of the official event title, no business or non-UF commercial names will be used.
- Typically, phone numbers will not be included on postings. Short, easy-to-read URLs may be listed.
- UF Communications posts congratulatory messages to faculty members who achieve recognition such as the Nobel Prize or the Pulitzer Prize or membership in national or international organizations such as the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Medicine.
Black History Monty
7 p.m., Feb. 1
Reitz Union Ballroom
“Brink” by Kyle Dunn
March 18-April 3
Reitz Union Gallery
Libraries 8th Annual