Light Pole Banner Guidelines
- Banners are to be used for branding and to promote educational, cultural and informational programs in support of UF’s mission.
- Banner content should have university-wide appeal.
- Banners may not be used for commercial advertising; advertising or promoting any political candidate, parties or issues; or identifying, advertising or promoting any religion.
- Department banners shall be placed on designated poles in contiguous areas in a clustered manner near the building/venue of the event. University-wide banners may utilize all areas.
- UF Communications is responsible for reviewing banner requests, addressing the following:
- Appropriateness of content/message
- Adherence to identity standards including images and the presentation of the university name and trademarks
- Timing of request taking into consideration other banner requests for the same locations and time period
- Facilities Services manages the installation and removal of banners on behalf of requesting organizations.
All requests for banner displays must be made by submitting a banner request form to UF Communications as early as possible, but at least eight weeks prior to the desired date of installation. Allow at least two weeks for review/approval, three weeks for fabrication by an approved vendor and three weeks for installation. The submission must include:
- Name of sponsoring group with a contact person identified
- A written description of the purpose of the banner
- Requested installation and removal dates
- Color image of the banner design in electronic format with measurements of the proposed banner
- Total number of banners desired with their locations. Please contact University Relations at 846-3903 for a list of locations.
UF Communications will respond to the requestor with information about whether the project is approved, approved with modifications, or rejected with reasons listed. Once banner placement has been approved by UF Communications, the requesting unit will submit a work order request to Facilities Services at email@example.com. FS is the only unit on campus that can install and remove banners. FS will make every effort to install banners on the date requested, however this is not guaranteed. There is an hourly charge for installation. Some poles do not currently have brackets. If the requesting unit wants to use these poles, they will be responsible for purchasing brackets (approximately $60/set) and having them installed by FS. Once installed, they become the property of UF.
- Banners can be reserved for a 90-day period with an extension of up to 45 additional days if no competing requests have been received.
- The finished size of banners is 24 inches x 72 inches including a four inches sewn pole pocket at both the top and bottom of the banner height.
- The design area should be 21 inches x 64 inches after the pole pockets are hemmed.
- Banners must be double-sided.
- Banners must be made of high-quality vinyl, flame retardant canvas or other flame-retardant awning material. Banner material must be opaque, non-shrinking, and water, tear and fade resistant.
- Banners must have double-sewn seams at all edges and at both sides of the pole pockets. Metal tie-down grommets shall be installed at the intersecting locations of double-sewn seams, but should not obstruct path for banner arm.
Guidelines for graphic content:
- Content should be generic in nature and graphically, symbolically and verbally representing the university-sponsored event or activity. Font should be as large as possible so the information can be gleaned on quick glance.
- Use minimal text – no more than five to seven words.
- Incorporate images or graphics using geometric or abstract shapes.
- Content may include the name or logo of the sponsoring university unit or college; non-university sponsors shall not be presented on banners.
- Recognition of the University of Florida should appear within the graphics of the banner; university policies in regard to the use of the university name, logo and other trademarks must be observed.
- Logos should be downloaded from the university’s brand center. All policies in regard to trademark use must be observed.
- Developing the design of the banner following the university’s branding guidelines.
- Submitting the request with back-up materials for review and approval to UF Communications.
- Making necessary changes to the proposal if requested.
- Purchasing the necessary quantity of banners plus additional units for replacement if originals are lost or stolen.
- Initiating a work order to hang banners at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a copy of the approval email from UF Communications.
- Paying for installation and removal of banners through Facilities Services.
- Delivering finished banners and mounting hardware (if needed) to PPD Work Management Center located in Building 701, Radio Road for installation.
- Picking up banners from Work Management Center after they are removed. Units are encouraged to recycle or repurpose the banners.
For more information:
Email UF Communications at email@example.com if you have any questions or need additional information.